12 displaced after charging e-scooter leads to Montgomery Co. townhouse fire

A dozen residents are displaced following a Thursday morning fire in Derwood, Maryland, according to WTOP.

Fire crews responded to a call for a townhome fire on Hiawatha Lane around 8 a.m. Thursday, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer.

Piringer said the cause of the fire was a charging e-scooter that “ignited combustibles nearby” in the building’s basement. Those flames spread to an adjacent townhouse, displacing residents of both homes.

No injuries were reported. Total damage is estimated to be about $650,000.

Piringer said people inside the home were alerted by a smoke alarm. Five children, all from the same address, are among the 12 displaced.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s